Sunday, September 13, 2009

Ginger Carrot Soup


Hello, friends.

This evening I had a craving for soup, so I modified a recipe I saw online and came up with what you see below.
Ginger carrot soup is so refreshing and soothing after a long week.
I'm determined to master the art of soups this fall, so this week I'll (hopefully) be posting all the recipes I try.
(Trying a new recipe each day makes me feel strangely accomplished...I don't know what it is?)

Ingredients
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
1 tablespoon butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups carrots, roughly chopped
1/4 cup freshly shaved ginger
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 can low sodium chicken stock
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
Coarse salt and pepper (to taste)
Fresh chives (or any herb, I used basil because I had it fresh)

Directions
Preheat medium pot over medium high heat. Add olive oil, butter, onions and carrots and saute 5 minutes. Add can of chicken stock, cinnamon and cayenne, and about 1 teaspoon salt to the pot. Bring to a boil, cover and cook until carrots are very tender, about 15 minutes. Place pot on a trivet next to food processor. Process soup in food processor with 1/2 cup warm water and 1/4 cup heavy cream until smooth and carrots are fully pureed. Garnish with freshly chopped herbs and more pepper.

No comments: