Wednesday, March 3, 2010

wabi-sabi




Are you familiar with wabi-sabi? I was not... Not until tonight, over a delicious italian dinner, when I got into a conversation with a friend about books on design and feng shui.

Evidently wabi-sabi is a Japanese world view on aesthetic. And I love aesthetics. This aesthetic focuses on transcience, or, a beauty that is imperfect, impermanent and incomplete.

In a design sense, wabi-sabi incorporates asymmetry, asperity, simplicity, modesty, intimacy and the suggestion of natural processes. If an object, space or form of expression can bring about a sense of serene meloncholy and a spiritual longing, it is considered to be wabi-sabi. Wabi-sabi is said to nuture all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities, that nothing lasts, nothing is finished and that nothing is perfect.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

such an amazing concept! thanks for opening my eyes. (i love reading your blog chelsea- you always have the best photos!)

Chelsea Leigh said...

lindsay- they're peonies! kind of fitting for my blog, no? and also one of my favorite flowers. crystal- thanks for your comments!